Welcome


Get a Voki now!




This is a journal about my journey into the world of "e-learning". Each week I will try out different E Learning tools and critique them . I will reflect on their strengths and weaknesses. I hope to narrow the list down to a top 4 or 5 that I would then use with my class.

Please join me on my learning journey. Let me know your thoughts on my reflections and whether you agree or disagree with my assessments.

Mrs Daisy

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Week 2 - Wiki







(courtesy of google pictures)



Hi All

This week I have been charged with the task of creating my own wiki.
I used wiki spaces and this is the address http://mrsdaisytrieselearning.wikispaces.com/.
It was quite simple to create and I was able to easily put up a picture and a you tube clip.

Having read 50 ways to use a wiki I can see what an amazing collaborative tool it would make. Whether using Engagement Theory or the Big 6 or even Dol as a learning frawework, a wiki is an ideal learning environment for students to collabortate together on a project. I really like the idea of using it as a class word wall, encylopedia or glossary for specifc units of work. The students can add their defintions, after researching the words, on the wiki rather than on paper or card up on the wall as a permanent tool to refer to.

I still need to get a clearer understanding of how the wiki works. Can students type at the same time and what happens of 2 students create the same idea or in fact delete some one elses work either by mistake or deliberatley? I need to work on my own skills before I would use this tool with a class but I can see endless possiblities once I have the knowledge. If any pof you have the answer please let me share it with me.

I used "Open content" to understand the difference between a wiki and a blog:

The open style of a wiki can be useful for group projects, while a blog may aid in brainstorming or generating discussion. Also, a combination of the two may best suit educational purposes.

Because a wiki can limit which users can login and edit the content, facilitator control can virtually be the same as a blog, where comments and posts can be pre-screened. The main difference, then, between a wiki and a blog becomes the layout and organization of information. A wiki becomes a continually modifiable easy-access web page, while a blog's journalistic style catalogs and dates content so readers can see the interchange of ideas related to the blog topic in question.

(http://www.opencontent.org/wiki/index.php?title=When_to_use_a_blog_vs._wiki)

No comments:

Post a Comment